What to expect
We offer practical support with professional equipment and kitchen space in order for you to develop your idea. When starting your own business, the sky is the limit and this workshop is designed to break down barriers that you may face in a motivating and practical tone.
The Food Enterprise Workshop is an intensive two day introduction to food business intended to help people hoping to open their own food business. Although it is intensive, there are no requirements for prior education or knowledge. We are committed to being flexible and inclusive and will make every effort for you to come on our workshop.
The Workshop is an exciting opportunity that is very beneficial to new business people. We want you to come and get some real practical experience and have fun too.
The Workshop is broken down into two days: the first day being a theory day based in our custom built workshop and the second being a practical day where you can test your ideas.
Day One: Theory
- Introductions, what you hope to get out of the course, individual aims
- Food hygiene, health and safety and legal requirements for your business
- Business plan and the language of business. Tips and pointers for successful business and sustainable business practices
- Other business support help available locally, where to go next and additional resources.
- Plan and agree action plan for ideas testing day.
Day Two: Ideas / Test Trading Day
- Preparation: go over action plan, shop for ingredients, prepare food
- Ideas / Test Trade
- Clean down / Put away
- Feedback, evaluate, next steps.
Make sure you bring a packed lunch as food is not provided. Other than that, all you need is a passion for food and to be ready to cook your food idea.
We have a flexible approach that offers friendly and valuable advice in a theoretical and practical manner. By the time you finish the workshop, you should be one step closer to starting your own food business.